Saturday, August 3, 2013

"Just a Little..."

Just when it seemed like I might finally get a game together with one of the players from my original  gaming group of the '80s it came crashing to a halt with one simple statement - "Yeah, me and my girlfriend just do a little bit of meth...no big deal".  REALLY?!  Of all the things you could discuss, that is what passes for casual conversation these days?  You want to come into my house with my 5 and 6 year old with me not knowing whether or not you are under the influence of this garbage? 
 
He explained to me that he had problems with another friend that he was hooking up with a place to stay - the rent was basically free because he was supplying them.  I was just amazed at the relative ease he had discussing the use of meth like it was not any different from using some legally obtained over-the-counter medication.  I was pretty much speechless.  I have known this dude since the second grade and he is a smart guy; he definitely has checked his brain at the door it seems.  Since we graduated in 1991 his life has been up and down with a failed marriage, DUI, and other stuff.  We lost touch with each other and then got back in contact several years ago.  We have even discussed other mutual friends from our past that we no longer associate with due to drastically bad decisions such as this.  The whole situation is pretty messed up.
 
Make no mistake about it - if he was interested in getting some help then I would be willing to go to meetings or whatever with him to lend support.  I understand the grip of addiction.  I smoked cigarettes for 15 years.  *Yeah, I know, there's nothing worse than an ex-smoker.*  People can argue all they want about it but at some point a smoker no longer smokes because they want to but smokes because they HAVE to.  It is just that simple.  I think back on all of the wasted years and wasted money during the time I smoked and think one word - IDIOT.  My point is that I can understand when something has a hold on you like that but I also understand that I have two small children and their safety comes above any other concerns.   
 
On a positive note, I am close to organizing some gaming with another old friend.  This one I have known just about as long as the other.  We share a lot of the same interests but we just never got around to gaming together.  Fingers crossed...
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment