Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Four Pack of Nostalgia

I was at Wal-Mart about a week ago to pick up some items I needed.  I always check out the book section to see what is available.  During this trip I noticed a small four book package of the old Choose Your Own Adventure books.  I got a little excited because I started thinking of the 1980s and 
discovering the hobby.  Along with role-playing games, my buddies and I would read these and the Endless Quest, Fighting Fantasy, Zork, Lone Wolf, and various other series.  I continued on with my shopping and left the books on the shelf.
 
I took my 6 year old son with me earlier to take care of a few things and my wife took our daughter with her.  When I got back home I noticed a few treats waiting on us.  Ethan had several of the LEGO mystery figure packages waiting on him and there was that four pack of Choose Your Own Adventure books waiting on me!  
 
Opening up the package to take a closer look at the contents revealed that the first four books of the series was included - The Abominable Snowman, Journey Under the Sea, Space and Beyond, and The Lost Jewels of Nabooti.  It has been so long that I have no idea if I have previously read any of these or not.  I am looking forward to sitting down with these to see if I can capture the magic again.  Maybe I will record every route I take through the book so I can figure out the optimum path just like we used to do in so long ago...












3 comments:

  1. I was reading The Shining at eleven, so these books always seemed rather cornball to me when they were popular.

    Having said that, I am terribly jealous of the Abominable Snowman find! That thing was hilarious.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've messed around with them a little bit but I haven't done a lot of reading on them. I mainly got them in hopes that my son might enjoy them like I did when he gets around the age that I read them; around 7 - 8 years old.

      It has been really light reading thus far. That's what I expected from them though. I really would have liked to have found some of the Endless Quest, Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery, Dragon Warriors, or something else with a little meat on the bone.

      Yes, the Abominable Snowman is pretty hilarious...lol.

      Delete
  2. Very useful articles. I and my friend to do some research. I am very glad to see such information, I find the very long period of time, was finally I found, thank you.

    ReplyDelete